Yuma Sun Wins Top News, Advertising Honors
The Yuma Sun staff earned a total of 29 accolades, including nine first-place awards, during the 74th annual Arizona News Association conference Saturday in Tempe.
To maintain impartiality, the Nevada Press Association judged the contest entries from newspapers all over Arizona and assigned the awards.
“We’re very pleased to see our efforts acknowledged,” said Joni Brooks, Yuma Sun publisher. “From the daily newspaper to our magazines and website, our entire team is involved in producing quality work and making sure we are delivering the most local news to our readers every single day.”
She continued: “It’s great to see recognition given to our reporters, photographers and ad designers and know that they are some of the best in the state. It’s also nice to bring some of that recognition to the Yuma community, and for people across the state to know that Yuma has one of the best newspapers in Arizona.”
Added Editor Roxanne Molenar: “Our team works hard each and every day to deliver the news to Yuma County. I’m so proud to see their hard work recognized.”
This year, 53 newspapers had a total of 1,360 entries in ANA’s Better Newspapers Contest. The contest consists of nine categories that measure the overall quality of the newspaper and 18 categories that honor individuals for their journalism excellence.
Also, 37 newspapers entered the ANA Excellence in Advertising competition for a total of 534 entries. The competition has 12 categories that measure the quality of advertising created by the newspaper staff.
The Yuma Sun was judged in the category of daily newspapers with a distribution of less than 25,000 circulation for both competitions.
News, sports and photography awards won by Yuma Sun and its staff include:
- Editorial Page Excellence: Yuma Sun staff – second place
- Best use of photography: Yuma Sun staff – second place
- Special section: Raising Yuma – third place
- Best headline: “Water your waiting for” by Amy Crawford – first place
- Best headline: “Note-able camp” by Mara Knaub – second place
- Best news story: “Yuma senator accused of confronting teacher in class” by Mara Knaub – second place
- Best sustained coverage or series: “Behind the Badge: Yuma Police Department” by Yuma Sun staff – second place
- Best sustained coverage or series: “Amberly’s Place fights child abuse” by Mara Knaub – third place
- Investigative reporting: “Far West rate hike saga” by Hillary Davis – first place
- Best sports story: “Brazeel leads YC to victory” by Jesse Severson – third place
- Best team, sport or sports beat coverage: Arizona Western College beat coverage by Edward Carifio – first place
- Best sports column: “Reporter, beware” by Edward Carifio – third place
- Enterprise reporting: “River of money” by Mara Knaub – second place
- Enterprise reporting: “Dog’s owner faces charges” by Hillary Davis – third place
- Best column, analysis or commentary: “Small steps could lead to safer campuses” by Roxanne Molenar – first place
- Best column, analysis or commentary: “Accountability counts” by Joni Brooks – third place
- Best multimedia storytelling: “Wind, rain, sand trounce Yuma area” by Yuma Sun staff – first place
- Best multimedia storytelling: “First F-35 Lightning lands at MCAS Yuma” by James Gilbert and Randy Hoeft – third place
- Best news photography: “Semi erupts in flames in 16th Street lot” by Crystal Ochoa – first place
- Best sports photography: “Shark attack” by Randy Hoeft – third place
- Best feature photo layout: “Squadron soars with fighters” by Craig Fry – first place
Advertising awards received by Yuma Sun staff include:
- Best Black & White Ad: Third place to Eduardo Mendovil for promoting Southwest Living
- Best Color Ad: Third place to Marissa Canzonetta for Sunrise Farmers Market
- Best Paid Ad Series, Black & White: Second place to Deb Courtis and Jim Foster for Yuma Ballet Academy
- Best Paid Ad Series in Color: First place to Sue Cannon for Women’s Health Services
- Best Special Section: First place for Southwest Living; Jedi Experience
- Best Online Static Ad: Second place to Eduardo Mendovil for Yuma Office Equipment
- Best Online Dynamic Ad: Third place to Eduardo Mendovil for Dr. Freeman
- Best Pro Bono/Public Service Ad: Third place to Marissa Canzonetta for the Yuma Sun’s Mega Purse and Shoe Sale